Monday, July 5, 2010

Another BFN

Woke up to AF at 5:40 am on Saturday. It was even more upsetting since I was with the pregnant best friend and went from "maybe being pregnant" to knowing that I wasn't. This month I had my shortest cycle and LP ever, 26 and 9. This has me slightly concerned about my progesterone levels and I think I'll try B6 this month.

After talking it over with the wife, we decided to try 2 IUIs this month with our same donor. This will exhaust what is left of my FSA. If that try doesn't work we will look at new donors and I'll also contact my insurance company regarding infertility coverage. The coverage begins after a year of being unsuccessful, but I don't know if they are going to require 12 IUIs since I am not partnered with a male. It seems that proof of ordered sperm should be good enough to be considered a failed cycle, but we all know insurance companies are in the business of being helpful. I certainly don't want to skip any IUIs if they will be necessary, but financially it would be nice to try to do a few home insems.

Now we prepare for another month of peeing on sticks, turning on monitors, ordering sperm and making appointments.

4 comments:

  1. Crap. Sorry to hear this wasn't the one. That's such a hard thing to find out when you're with a pregnant friend, but glad you at least seemed to handle it ok. Also glad you're thinking about the next try already. I hope that one is it and you won't have to deal with the insurance company nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there... sorry about the BFN. I have been following your blog. As for fertility insurance, if you have proof of 12 months of purchased sperm that counts... at least that was the case with my partners. Her insurance required 12 months, mine required 6. Also, if you are over 35 then it does not matter on both our insurance. I had 11 IUI with BFN, so we fell short on my partners insurance. Crazy thing is that I am turning 35 this month. We used my insurance instead. It was a pain in the ass for me, but the doctors office was awesome helping us with the insurance because we are a same sex couple and sometimes the insurance uses that against you... Lame.

    Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you both and so incredibly sorry this cycle wasn't the one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugg, I know exactly how that feels, back the the monitoring, back to the testing, back to the peeing. Sometimes it helps to try to mix things up a bit -- depending on what kind of insurance you have (some are 6, some are 12 months of trying) you might be able to jump to a more aggressive approach soon!

    ReplyDelete